Near Zion Crossroads in Fluvanna County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Louisa County / Fluvanna County
Louisa County. Located in the heart of the Virginia Piedmont, this rural county was named for Louisa, a daughter of George II. It was formed from Hanover county in 1742, the county seat is Louisa. Among the county’s historic resources is the Green Springs Historic District including Boswell’s Tavern, which was used on one occasion during the Revolution as headquarters of the Marquis de Lafayette. Other landmarks include the monumental Louisa bounty courthouse and the old jail.
Fluvanna County. Fluvanna County takes its name from an 18th-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of England’s Queen Anne. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. Among the county’s outstanding architectural and historic resources are those included in the Bremo Historic District (Upper Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess) along with those in the Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. There at the county seat of Palmyra, a temple-form courthouse design by Gen. John Hartwell Cocke dominates a small cluster of court structures.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1742.
Location. 37° 58.194′ N, 78° 13.224′ W. Marker is near Zion Crossroads, Virginia, in Fluvanna County. Marker is on James Madison Highway (U.S. 15) just south of Three Notch Road (U.S. 250), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Troy VA 22974, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Louisa County / Fluvanna County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flora Molton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Campaign of 1781 (approx. 3.3 miles away); The “Regular” Methodist Conference (approx. 5.9 miles away); a different marker also named Campaign of 1781 (approx. 6.4 miles away); Albemarle County / Louisa County (approx. 6.7 miles away); Revolutionary War Campaign of 1781 (approx. 6.8 miles away); Boswell’s Tavern (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zion Crossroads.
Also see . . .
1. Louisa County History. (Submitted on April 7, 2009.)
2. History of Fluvanna County. (Submitted on April 7, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 965 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 7, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.