Hamilton in Hamilton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John J. ("Jack") Durham
Born in Larkinsville, Ala.; came to Coryell County, Tex., 1857, and Hamilton, 1860. Taught school here. Acquired much land; traded 200 cattle for C.C. Bumgartner's store and hotel. Helped found and direct Hamilton College, 1884-89. He was one of five men who each gave $5,000 for locating (1907) Stephenville North & South Texas Railway line through Hamilton. Married (1) Elizabeth McCutcheon and (2), Mrs. Docia Mae Price Frost; was father of 17 children.
Recorded - 1972
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1306.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Education • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 31° 42.587′ N, 98° 7.207′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Texas, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Rice Street (U.S. 281) and East Francis Marion. The marker is located in the southeast section of the Hamilton Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 567 North Rice Street, Hamilton TX 76531, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Ann Whitney (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Ann Whitney (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Hamilton National Bank (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Leon River Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chesley Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lest We Forget (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Drugstore (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.