Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association

 
 
Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 16, 2021
1. Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association Marker
Inscription.  

Messengers from nine Baptist churches, Shady Grove # 1 and # 2, Alvarado, Bethesda, Rock Springs, Hillsboro, Island Grove, West Fork and Union met to organize themselves as an association on October 29, 1864. The purposes of the association are to encourage a spirit of cooperation among the churches and to assist the churches in accomplishing their work of fulfilling the great commission. Over the years, the association has been identified by several names, finally named Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association in 2003. From the first meeting, a moderator has been elected annually to preside over meetings and oversee the work of the association. Today there are 66 churches and missions in the association, but only First Baptist Church, Alvarado, and Bethesda Baptist Church remain of the charter member churches.

The location for an office for the association was held in a single room in Reverend James G. Payne's home, who was the first Executive Director of the Association in 1950. The office moved to a space in the First Baptist Church, then to a small building provided by the Field Street Baptist Church, and finally in 1992
The Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association building and the Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 16, 2021
2. The Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association building and the Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
to a new building in West Cleburne. The association provides leadership training, demographic studies, church staff development and pastoral counseling for participating churches, as well as financial support to ministries such as the Woman's Missionary Union, Christian Women's Job Corps and the Baptist Student Ninistry. The association has also extended its ministry to Canada, Germany, Mexico and Tanzania.
 
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17968.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionWomen. A significant historical date for this entry is October 29, 1864.
 
Location. 32° 20.391′ N, 97° 25.578′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of North Nolan River Road and Blackfoot Drive, on the left when traveling north on North Nolan River Road. The marker is located in front of the building near the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 North Nolan River Road, Cleburne TX 76033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Texas World War II Home Front (approx. one mile away); First United Methodist Church, Cleburne (approx. one mile away); Yellow Jacket Stadium (approx. 1½ miles away); Field Street Baptist Church
The view of the Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, July 16, 2021
3. The view of the Southwest Metroplex Baptist Association Marker from the street
(approx. 1.8 miles away); Joiner - Long House (approx. 2 miles away); Site of the Old City Spring (approx. 2.2 miles away); City Wagon Yards (approx. 2.2 miles away); Johnson County (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleburne.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177617

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2022