Northville in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Near this location… The Administration Building
Maybury Sanatorium 1921-1969
In addition to administrative offices, portions of this building were devoted to clinical purposes. X-ray, surgical and dental offices were here, as well as the medical library, schoolteacher's office and staff convalescence rooms.
The administration building was attached to the infirmary building. A circular drive led off the main driveway on the east.
"The idea of the Sanatorium is to do all it can to help restore health; it aims to give good nursing and bedside care; to house the patient comfortably in healthful surroundings; to supply him with palatable and attractive foods; to offer him occupational diversions when he is ready for them; and finally, to establish and maintain such relationship with the individual patient as will make the Sanatorium stay a co-operative journey toward health restoration."
-Dr. H.S. Willis, Superintendent and Medical Director
Maybury Manual, 1941
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
Location. 42° 25.755′ N, 83° 32.074′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 49601 Eight Mile Rd, Northville MI 48167, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Near this location… The Vaughan Infirmary (within shouting distance of this marker); Near this location… The Ambulant Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Near this location… The Doctor's Home (about 300 feet away); Near this location… The Inn and Women's Dormitory (about 500 feet away); Near this location… The Nurse's Home (about 500 feet away); Near this location… The Powerhouse (about 600 feet away); Near this location... The Men's Annex (approx. 0.2 miles away); Near this location...The Water Tower (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northville.
More about this marker. This marker is one of a series on The Maybury Sanatorium which operated on the site of the state park from 1921-1969.
Also see . . . Maybury Sanitorium. Excerpt:
There isn't much left of it these days, aside from a couple scraps of rubble here and there in the woods. The beautiful wooded hills have been preserved for public recreation however, and it may be fondly remembered by most Metro-Detroiters as the one and only place that they ever rode a horse.(Submitted on July 22, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.