Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Carnegie Library Building
A Cleburne Public Library was begun in 1901 under the direction of the local Women's Club. In 1902 members of the organization met with New York industrialist and benefactor Andrew S. Carnegie to secure funds for a building. His gift was matched by local contributions and this structure was completed in 1905. Featuring details of the Beaux Arts and Classical Revival styles and a second floor theater, it housed the library until 1978.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 731.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Women. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 32° 20.919′ N, 97° 23.181′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of North Caddo Street (State Highway 171) and East Wardville Street, on the left when traveling north on North Caddo Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Caddo Street, Cleburne TX 76033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carnegie Library / Layland Museum (a few steps from this marker); Site of Old Picnic Grounds (a few steps from this marker); Colonel Middleton T. Johnson (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Patrick R. Cleburne (about 400 feet away); The 36th Division - Texas National Guard (about 400 feet away); Church of the Holy Comforter (about 400 feet away); Johnson County War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Desert Storm Memorial (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleburne.
Also see . . . Carnegie library.
A Carnegie library is a library built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. A total of 2,509 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929, including some belonging to public and university library systems. 1,689 were built in the United States, 660 in the United Kingdom and Ireland, 125 in Canada, and others in Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Serbia, Belgium, France, the Caribbean, Mauritius, Malaysia, and Fiji. Source : Wikipedia(Submitted on July 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 170 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.