Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Johnson County Sheriff's Posse
On October 8, 1951, nine men gathered at the Cleburne Livestock Auction Barn to create the Johnson County Sheriff's Posse (JCSP). The organization was charged with establishing a local riding group to promote good will among horsemen and other area citizens, create interest in western stock horses and preserve the traditions of the old west.
During the Posse's first few years of existence, the group leased the fair grounds of the North Central Texas Fair and Rodeo Association and conducted activities at the site. The JCSP first sponsored a rodeo at the fair grounds in May 1953. The group purchased 41 acres along State Highway 171/174 in 1962; an arena was soon constructed and the group's clubhouse was relocated from the formerly leased property. In 1963, the wives and daughters of JCSP members formed the Johnson County Sheriffettes, with the goals of helping with JCSP projects, riding in local parades, and positively representing the Posse; the group has since been absorbed into the regular membership.
Community outreach has been an important part of the Johnson County Sheriff's Posse's activities since the group's
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16272.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Entertainment • Sports • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is October 8, 1951.
Location. 32° 20.017′ N, 97° 22.861′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is on South Main Street (State Highway 174) 0.4 miles south of Country Club Road (Farm to Market Road 1718), on the left when traveling south. The marker is located in front of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1315 South Main Street, Cleburne TX 76031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alton Meeks Stricklin (approx. half a mile away); Cleburne American Legion Post Memorial (approx. half a mile away); John L. and Annie Upshaw Cleveland House (approx. half a mile away); AT&SF Steam Locomotive #3417Johnson County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Joiner - Long House (approx. Ύ mile away); Cleburne Lodge No. 315, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.9 miles away); Johnson County Confederate Memorial (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleburne.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.