103 N. Jackson St
The history of Athens is marred by many buildings and blocks being destroyed by fire.
Athens fought fires with one hose cart until 1910 when this property was purchased for the location of the first Fire Hall and Recorder's office. Later, due to the narrow width of this building, trucks had to back in one in front of the other. This building was in use until the Athens Fire Department moved to its new home on
N. White Street in 1963.
Erected by Main Street Athens Project.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 35° 26.599′ N, 84° 35.576′ W. Marker is in Athens, Tennessee, in McMinn County. Marker is on North Jackson Street (Business U.S. 11) just north of Washington Avenue (Tennessee Route 39), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 N Jackson St, Athens TN 37303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McGaughey Corner (a few steps from this marker); Athens Water Works Precinct 11 (a few steps from this marker);
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.