Near Pescadero in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Año Nuevo Island
The run-down buildings you see are the last remains of the lighthouse station. Living quarters for two families were built with picket fences around the yards to keep out the seals. A rain water basin, cistern, and tank supplied fresh water The families lived on the island year round.
After protecting the coast for 76 years, the station was decommissioned in 1948 when the lighthouse's functions were automated offshore. Seals, sea lions, and birds quickly took over the place. The weather-beaten structures, as well as the island and its wildlife, are protected as a part of the Reserve.
Erected by Año Nuevo Interpretive Association.
Topics and series. This Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 37° 7.136′ N, 122° 18.441′ W. Marker was near Pescadero, California, in San Mateo County. Marker could be reached from Año Nuevo State Park Road near Cabrillo Highway (State Route 1), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Pescadero CA 94060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Steele Ranch (within shouting distance of this marker); Steele Brothers' Dairy Ranches (within shouting distance of this marker); Dickerman-Steele House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Don Gaspar de Portolá (approx. 2.2 miles away); Swanton (approx. 5.7 miles away); Big Creek Light and Power Company (approx. 5.7 miles away); Swanton Pacific Ranch (approx. 5.9 miles away); Washout 1997 to 2001 (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pescadero.
More about this marker. This marker is opposite the Año Nuevo State Park Marine Education Center.
Also see . . . Año Nuevo Lighthouse - LighthouseFriends.com. Spanish explorer Sebastian Vizcaino departed Acapulco in January
Before an appropriation for a first-order light on Año Nuevo Island was made in 1868, the Carrier Pigeon was lost in 1853, followed by the Sir John Franklin in 1865, and the Coya in 1866. Año Nuevo island had been reserved for light-house purposes by the President of the United States, but the owners of the surrounding rancho still claimed title to the island. After some difficulty, the government finally purchased Año Nuevo Island and land on Pigeon Point for $10,000 in 1870. (Submitted on February 20, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Additional keywords. lighthouse
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on July 23, 2021, by Diane Phillips of Pittsburg, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.