An estimated 15,000 people
assembled at the dam site to see U.S.
President Dwight D. Eisenhower
speak at the closing ceremonies of the
Garrison Dam in June 1953. Another
10,000 people gathered along the
route of the Presidential procession to
Bismarck. Twenty-five highway patroi
and 175 members of the national
guard were stationed at intersections
between Minot, the dam,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1947.
Location. 47° 30.273′ N, 101° 26.062′ W. Marker is near Pick City, North Dakota, in Mercer County. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Powerhouse (here, next to this marker); Intake Structure (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hidatsa Village (approx. 10.1 miles away); River-Centered (approx. 11.6 miles away); Awatixa Village (approx. 11.7 miles away); Cutbank Archeaology (sic) (approx. 11.7 miles away); Wildlife Area Evolves From Coal Mine (approx. 11.7 miles away); Custer Coal Mine (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pick City.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Garrison Dam. (Submitted on July 26, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 26, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.