Lawrenceville in Lawrence County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lawrence County Courthouse
On May 21, 1886, the Lawrence County Board of Supervisors met and determined that their existing 44-year-old courthouse was too small and lacked fire protection for county records. They hoped to renovate the existing building, but soon concluded that it was beyond repair. They then began a process to build a new courthouse.
After a fitful start, a contract was awarded to H.B. Trester, Jr., of Aurora, Indiana, for $29,500. In April of 1889 about 1,000 onlookers attended the cornerstone-laying ceremony. Seven months later, November 21, 1889, the Board of Supervisors received their new courthouse - which stands here today.
·Courthouse workers, 1928, interrupt their work for a photo. This is one of the very few early photos of the courthouse interior.
·This 1870 lithograph shows Lawrence County's second courthouse. Built in 1842, it was the scene of one of Illinois' most famous trials, the Elizabeth Reed murder trial of 1845. Convicted
Erected by Chevron Environmental Management Company and Lawrence County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Women. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1889.
Location. 38° 43.759′ N, 87° 40.969′ W. Marker is in Lawrenceville, Illinois, in Lawrence County. Marker is on State Street (Business U.S. 50) east of 12th Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located at the northwest part of the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 State St, Lawrenceville IL 62439, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Lawrence County Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Lincoln in Lawrenceville (within shouting distance of this marker); Life on the Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Millstones From Smallsburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Golden Rule Insurance Company, inc. 1940 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Field Army Air Corps Base (approx. 3.7 miles away); Vincennes Tract (approx. 8.3 miles away); Lincoln Trail Memorial (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lawrenceville.
Also see . . . Lawrence County Courthouse on Wikipedia. Added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 7, 2010 (#10000992). (Submitted on July 28, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 28, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.