Near Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Battery E, Pennsylvania Light Artillery
Penna. Light Artillery
Reenlisted Jan. 1864.
Mustered out June 14th 1865.
At 3:30 p.m. July 2d one gun was placed
on Culp's Hill in the position marked
by a monument, and was joined by two
others at 5 p.m., when the three guns
engaged the enemy's batteries on
Benner's Hill. These guns were
withdrawn when the infantry was
ordered to the left and the
Battery went into this position,
where it remained until the close
of the battle.
Present at Gettysburg
4 officers and 135 men.
Wounded 3 men.
Erected 1897 by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 39° 48.386′ N, 77° 13.183′ W. Marker is near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker can be reached from Granite Schoolhouse Lane, on the right when traveling west. Located on Powers Hill in Gettysburg National Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery A, Maryland Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery M, 1st New York Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); 77th New York Infantry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 12th Corps Headquarters (about 800 feet away); 4th New Jersey Volunteers (about 800 feet away); McAllister's Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Batteries B & L, Second U.S. Artillery (approx. 0.2 miles away); 21st Pennsylvania Cavalry (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Knap's Battery at Gettysburg.
Also see . . . Battery E, Independent Pennsylvania Light Artillery. Service history of the battery. (Submitted on April 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,120 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6. submitted on April 13, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 7. submitted on April 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 8. submitted on April 13, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.