Webster Springs in Webster County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Webster Springs Hotel
By the late 19th century, visionaries had begun to see the potential of the natural beauty of Webster Springs and the "therapeutic" value of the sulphur waters. In 1897, a small hotel was built by Johnson Camden on the lower end of this bottom. By 1902 Camden had sold this hotel to James McGraw who built a railroad into Webster Springs and increased the hotel to the largest in West Virginia, rivaling the even more illustrious Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs.
The hotel, which encompassed this entire bottom, boasted 176 guest rooms, a dining room that seated 200 people, a sun parlor and four general parlors, a spacious writing room for the ladies', large ball room and more. Additionally, the building was steam heated, had the first passenger elevator in the state had it's own electrical generator.
The exceptional quality of the mineral waters that flowed naturally from springs in this valley soon gained a national reputation and visitors traveled to Webster Springs to enjoy the beauty of this pristine land, its cool, dry climate and its reviving waters.
On July 20th 1925 the hotel burned. The great
Just below this sign is one of the sulphur wells (now sealed) which made this hotel possible.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is July 20, 1925.
Location. 38° 28.658′ N, 80° 24.774′ W. Marker is in Webster Springs, West Virginia, in Webster County. Marker is on McGraw Avenue just south of North Main Street (West Virginia Route 15), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Webster Springs WV 26288, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Webster Springs Hotel (here, next to this marker); Webster Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Steven Paul Mollohan (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Webster County Court Square (about 300 feet away); First National Bank of Webster Springs (about 300 feet away); Coal Block (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Webster Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.