Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Buckhannon in Upshur County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Reger Building 1900

 
 
Reger Building 1900 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 1, 2021
1. Reger Building 1900 Marker
Inscription.  
The Reger Building was constructed about 1900 by Dr. Robert A. Reger and Margaret Maggie Tilloston Janney Reger. The land was originally owned by A.R. Ireland who in his will had it sold to Maggie's father, Tillitson Janney, since the property adjoined the Janney home. As a child Maggie grew up living on Main Street, however, as confederate sympathizers, the family was forced to flee Buckhannon during the Civil War, only returning at the end of the war. In 1878, Maggie married Dr. Robert A. Reger, who following years of medical practice was appointed a trustee and then treasurer of the West Virginia Conference Seminary, now West Virginia Wesleyan College.

The buildings first occupant was a dry goods store at street level and boardinghouse rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors. In 1908, the fine millinery store, The Leader moved into the first floor and operated her through 1923. In 1925, the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company took over the first floor and ran a grocery store here until the start of World War II. The Roger family sold the building to Spiros Lulos in 1943. Spiros and his son George, would go on to open the popular restaurant
Reger Building 1900 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 1, 2021
2. Reger Building 1900 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
"Liberty Lunch" across the street from this site. In the 1940's Humphrey's Quality Pastry was located here and in the 19950's Hornbeck Children's Clothing along with the City Restaurant ran their business here.

Joseph Oldaker acquired the building from "Hack" Humphrey in 1954 and he and his family would run the Acme Bookstore here for the next 50 years. In 2003, Aesop's restaurant opened in the rear of the building and in 2013 Main Street Antiques took over the entire first floor for their retail business.
 
Erected by Create Buckhannon; Historic Landmarks Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicIndustry & CommerceWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
 
Location. 38° 59.635′ N, 80° 13.797′ W. Marker is in Buckhannon, West Virginia, in Upshur County. Marker is on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 32 E Main St, Buckhannon WV 26201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Strawberry Festival / Tillotson Janney House (here, next to this marker); G.C. Murphy Company / G.O. Young Drug Store (a few steps from this marker); Stockert Building 1904 (a few steps from this marker); Shinn Building 1892 (a few steps from this marker); The Lurch Bench
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(a few steps from this marker); Kiddy Building 1932 (within shouting distance of this marker); Crislip & Simpson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Carpenter Building 1923 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buckhannon.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=178961

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 28, 2021