Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Buckhannon in Upshur County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

G.C. Murphy Company / G.O. Young Drug Store

 
 
G.C. Murphy Company side of the marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 1, 2021
1. G.C. Murphy Company side of the marker
Inscription.  
G.C. Murphy Company
Commonly known as the "Five and Dime," this former landmark business opened its doors in the early 1920s and moved to the location of present day Main Street Antiques in the 1930s. This novelty store offered a variety of merchandise ranging from household goods, fabrics and clothing, to paint, toys, and hardware. The affectionate name of "5 and 10 cent store" was due to the common cost of merchandise at this time.

The hardware section, today C.J. Maggie's, was the original location of Kroger. The well-worn, squeaky wooden floor surrounding the candy counter and the loud bell signaling lunch and quitting time is well remembered by many residents.

G.O. Young Drug Store
Decorated on the interior with mahogany panels, gold trimmings, plate glass, art glass light fixtures, and mirrors. G.O. Young's Drug Store was claimed to be one of the finest and best equipped facilities in the United States. It boasted having the largest electrified sign between Washington, D.C. and Chicago. This unique and luxurious building contained four stories and 9,000 square feet of floor space. Sixty-eight
G.O. Young Drug Store side of the marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 1, 2021
2. G.O. Young Drug Store side of the marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
customers could be comfortably seated at the soda fountain and tables. Famous for its homemade ice cream, the machinery in the basement was capable of producing 75 gallons of ice cream per hour. Highway and road mileage posts all over central West Virginia read "so many miles to Buckhannon and G.O. Young's Drug Store". Today, Miller's Pharmacy is located in the original building.
 
Erected by Buckhannon Historic Landmarks Commission; Upshur County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceScience & Medicine.
 
Location. 38° 59.644′ N, 80° 13.794′ W. Marker is in Buckhannon, West Virginia, in Upshur County. Marker is on East Main Street (County Road 151) just west of North Spring Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 E Main St, Buckhannon WV 26201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lurch Bench (here, next to this marker); Stockert Building 1904 (here, next to this marker); Shinn Building 1892 (a few steps from this marker); Strawberry Festival / Tillotson Janney House (a few steps from this marker); Reger Building 1900 (a few steps from this marker); Crislip & Simpson Building
G.C. Murphy Company / G.O. Young Drug Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 1, 2021
3. G.C. Murphy Company / G.O. Young Drug Store Marker
(a few steps from this marker); Carpenter Building 1923 (within shouting distance of this marker); Explorations West of Blue Ridge / 8 East Main Street / Strawberry Festival 1936 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buckhannon.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=178980

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021