Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Osteen Bridge Turner
Museum Of Seminole County History
This is the top of the turning mechanism which was positioned just below the floor of the old Osteen Bridge (1926-1977). This bridge crossed the St. Johns River on Highway 415, east of Sanford. The position of the mechanism cannot be entirely simulated here, so the crank now employed is reversed. John Lankford and Eston Allen were the last two bridge tenders. Allen is shown above cranking the 47 turns required to open or shut the turntable section. The bridge tender’s house was located on the Seminole County side of the bridge.
Before this bridge was built, a ferry existed. The ferry was guided across the St. Johns River by a submerged fixed wire cable. It was propelled by repeated positioning in hand –held poles that were grooved to slide and grip the cable when pulling pressure was applied by the ferry operators. A motorized ferry replaced the hand operated unit for a short time before the opening of the Osteen Bridge in 1926.
Erected by Museum Of Seminole County History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
Location. 28° 44.587′ N, 81° 17.952′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Eslinger Way and Tropic Park Drive, on the right when traveling south. The marker stands on the grounds of the Museum Of Seminole County History. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Eslinger Way, Sanford FL 32773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Folks Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Oviedo Turntable (within shouting distance of this marker); Fixed Signal (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dala Horse (within shouting distance of this marker); Seminole County Courthouses (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lake Mary Historic Sites (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Lake Mary (approx. 1.8 miles away); "The Phoenix"… (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 7, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.