Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Field Hospitals - Twelfth Corps
Army of the Potomac
The Division Field Hospitals of the Twelfth Corps were located July 2nd at the Bushman House one hundred and sixty yards east. These hospitals cared for about 1200 wounded and were in operation until about August 5th, 1863.
Medical Director 12th Corps Surgeon John McNulty U.S. Volunteers
1st Division Surgeon Artemus Chapel U.S. Volunteers
2nd Division Surgeon John E. Herbst U.S. Volunteers
Medical Officer in charge of 12th Corps Hospitals
Surgeon H. Ernest Goodman, 28th Penna. Infantry.
Erected 1914 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 2, 1775.
Location. 39° 47.446′ N, 77° 12.893′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Hospital Road, on the right when traveling north. Located at a lane leading to the George Bushman Farm, south of Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Bushman Farm (here, next to this marker); Field Hospitals - Second Corps (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. 0.7 miles away); Field Hospitals - Eleventh Corps (approx. Ύ mile away); Armistead and Hancock (approx. Ύ mile away); George Spangler Farm (approx. Ύ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,199 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.