Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Field Hospitals - Second Corps
— Army of the Potomac —
The Division Hospitals of the Second Corps were located July 2nd at the Granite School House but were soon removed to near Rock Creek west of the creek and six hundred yards southeast of the Bushman House. They remained there until closed August 7th, 1863. These Hospitals cared for 2200 Union and 952 Confederate wounded.
Medial Director 2nd Corps Surgeon A.N. Dougherty U.S. Volunteers
1st Division Surgeon R.C. Stiles U.S. Volunteers
2nd Division Surgeon J.F. Dyer 10th Massachusetts Infantry
3rd Division Surgeon Isaac Scott 7th West Va. Infantry
Medical Officer in charge of the Corps Hospitals Surgeon Justin Dwinelle 106th Pennsylvania.
Erected 1914 by Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is July 2, 1775.
Location. 39° 47.355′ N, 77° 12.875′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Hospital Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Field Hospitals - Twelfth Corps (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Bushman Farm (about 600 feet away); Michael Trostle Farm (approx. 0.7 miles away); U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. 0.7 miles away); Field Hospitals - Sixth Corps (approx. 0.7 miles away); Field Hospitals - Third Corps (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named U.S. Field Hospitals at Gettysburg (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,491 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.