Spencer in Worcester County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Gen. Henry Knox Trail
General Henry Knox
in the winter of
1775 – 1776
to deliver to
General George Washington
the train of artillery
from Fort Ticonderoga used
to force the British Army
to evacuate Boston.
Erected by the Commonwealth
of Massachusetts 1927
Erected 1927 by Commonwealth of Massachusetts. (Marker Number MA-14.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the General Henry Knox Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
Location. 42° 14.639′ N, 71° 59.66′ W. Marker is in Spencer, Massachusetts, in Worcester County. Marker is on Main Street (Massachusetts Route 9), on the left when traveling east. Marker is located on Main Street, between Pleasant Street and Mechanic Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Spencer MA 01562, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Massasoit Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington (within shouting Donald B. Mandeville Sr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Spencer 9/11 Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Spencer Civil War Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Soldier’s Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Prouty Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Vietnam Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spencer.
More about this marker. The top of the marker contains a bas relief bronze plaque depicting Gen. Knox overseeing a train of ox-drawn sleds.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. These markers follow the route used by Knox to transfer cannons from Fort Ticonderoga to Cambridge, Mass.
Also see . . . Major General Henry Knox. Knox biography from the American Revolution website. (Submitted on April 13, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,215 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.