Pilger in Stanton County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Named for Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton in 1862. Jacob Hoffman and Francis Scott filed the first homestead applications in the county on November 18, 1865. The first farms, however, were those of Charles and Mitchell Sharp, who homesteaded near here in the autumn of 1865. This fertile region, enhanced by the Elkhorn River, attracted settlers of German, Norwegian, Czech, Irish Canadian and Swedish origin.
The town of Stanton, platted in 1870, was incorporated in 1881. The Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad was built through the county in 1879. The following year the village of Pilger was platted. Named for Peter Pilger, who owned the original townsite, it was incorporated in 1887.
The first large scale farming in the county was the "Township Farm" of Walter Cragg and Ephraim Clark. The farm was divided into four sections, one for crops, one for orchards, and the remaining two for the raising of swine and cattle. The "Township Farm" attested to the versatility of the region, which makes Stanton County a most productive agricultural area today.
Erected by Stanton County
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is November 18, 1865.
Location. 42° 0.5′ N, 97° 3.22′ W. Marker is in Pilger, Nebraska, in Stanton County. Marker is on North Main Street just south of East 2nd Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pilger NE 68768, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . . Stanton County Nebraska. County website homepage:
Stanton County economy is, and always has been based on agriculture. The agricultural base is characterized by livestock production with more grain grown for feed than for cash grain. The two towns in the county which serve the rural population, Pilger and Stanton, have remained relatively small. The county was populated by people from many states and foreign countries who came together to establish the rich social fabric which remains today. (Submitted on August 13, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.