Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Farragut in Knox County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

After the Civil War

 
 
After the Civil War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, August 14, 2021
1. After the Civil War Marker
Inscription.  
Matthew Russell died while on a trip to Virginia for salt during the Civil War. Matthew left home and property to Robert Russell, his nephew. After the war, Robert continued to operate the store.

Avery Russell, the son of Robert Russell, acquired the home after the death of his father. By 1900, he was head of the household, and the home became known locally at the Avery Russell House. During the late nineteenth century, Campbell’s Station was economically overshadowed by the railroad town of Concord and remained a predominantly rural and agricultural community through World War II.

By 1920, brothers Avery and Charles Russell owned and operated the Russell Brothers Dairy. After the brothers dissolved their joint dairy business in the early 1930s, each started his own dairy. Charles owned and operated Russell’s Seven Oaks Dairy on Concord Road, while Avery operated Russell’s Dairy on Kingston Pike. He constructed the block building that once sat behind the Avery Russell House for the diary plant.

As the focus on transportation shifted from rivers ad railways back to roadways in the 1950s, the residential and
After the Civil War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, August 14, 2021
2. After the Civil War Marker
Marker located on the right.
Click or scan to see
this page online
commercial development of the Campbell’s Station area along Kingston Pike experienced renewed interest. After completion of Interstate 40 in the 1960s, the area was strongly affected by the westward suburban expansion of the Knoxville area. By January 1980, the area had seen sufficient population growth to incorporate as the town of Farragut.

Deed records indicate that Russell Dairy, Inc. transferred the Avery Russell House property to Avery’s son and daughter-in-law, Albert H. and Anna Mae Russell, in 1965, so presumably the dairy business had ceased operation by that time.

The Avery Russell House, after housing six generations of the Russell family for over one hundred fifty years, was purchased by the Town of Farragut I 2012.

[Captions:]
Russell Family in 1898 – A photograph taken in 1898 shows members of the Russell family in front of the house with its original Ionic columns and a second story balcony still intact on the façade.

Below – A second photo from the turn of the century shows the Russell family in front of the house with Kingston Pike at its original elevation. Above – Charles and Avery Russell with a Russell Brothers Dairy truck. After Russell Dairy was no longer in business, the dairy building served as Farragut Tow Hall and offices from 1984 to 1991. The building was
The Campbell Station Inn, a.k.a. The Avery Russell House image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, March 6, 2010
3. The Campbell Station Inn, a.k.a. The Avery Russell House
removed after the Town of Farragut purchased the property for construction of the plaza surrounding this historic inn.
 
Erected by Knoxville Civil War Roundtable.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1980.
 
Location. 35° 52.893′ N, 84° 9.657′ W. Marker is in Farragut, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker is on North Campbell Station Road just north of Kingston Pike (U.S. 11/70), on the right when traveling north. The marker stands in Mayor Ralph McGill Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 N Campbell Station Rd, Knoxville TN 37934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. During the Civil War (here, next to this marker); David Campbell builds a station (here, next to this marker); Settlement of the Frontier (here, next to this marker); Admiral David Glasgow Farragut Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Campbell's Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Loveville (approx. half a mile away); Archibald Roane (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Campbell's Station (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farragut.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2021, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2021, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=179473

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 28, 2021