Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sanford est. 1877
Georgetown’s business district developed along Sanford Avenue between 1st and 6th Streets and thrived from around 1880 to 1950’s, when Sanford was booming in agricultural and transportation development. A highly sought after residential district developed south of 6th Street along Sanford Avenue, and prominent African American families chose to have their homes built there. A number of the homes were designed by African American architect, Prince W. Spears. These homes were designed with attention to detail and architectural style, and became the center of cultural and social activity in the community.
In 1936 the Works Progress Administration Federal Writers Project documented the Georgetown community. Project writer Margaret Barnes noted the many lovely residences, lodges, stores, and churches that served the African American community. She stated, “By far the best shops and residences are on Sanford Avenue”.
[Captions, from left to right]
620 S. Sanford Avenue. Built in 1924, home of physician George Brewer.
612 S. Sanford Avenue. Built in 1911, home of realtor David C. Brock.
812 S. Sanford Avenue. Built in 1922, home of educator J.N. Crooms.
Erected by City of Sanford.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 28° 48.528′ N, 81° 15.893′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on Sanford Avenue, 0.1 miles south of East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north. This marker is included along Sanford’s Pathways To History Tour. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 Sanford Ave, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historical Figures (within shouting distance of this marker); Businesses (within shouting distance of this marker); Vanished Sanford (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgetown (about 500 feet away); Sanford Est. 1877 (about 600 feet away); Sanford & Tucker (about 800 feet away); The E. E. Brady Livery Stable (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Imperial Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.