Cambridge in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Gen. Henry Knox Trail
General Henry Knox
General George Washington
in January 1776
the train of artillery
to force the enemy to
Erected by the Commonwealth
of Massachusetts 1927
Erected 1927 by Commonwealth of Massachusetts. (Marker Number MA-27.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the General Henry Knox Trail series list.
Location. 42° 22.593′ N, 71° 7.313′ W. Marker is in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Garden Street and Mason Street, on the right when traveling west on Garden Street. Marker is located on the Cambridge Common. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cambridge MA 02138, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Charlestown – Watertown Path (a few steps from this marker); Washington Elm (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Casimir PulaskiWashington’s General Orders (within shouting distance of this marker); These Cannon Were Abandoned (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Thaddeus Kosciuszko (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Way to Charlestown (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cambridge.
More about this marker. The top of the marker contains a bas relief bronze plaque depicting Gen. Knox overseeing a train of ox-drawn sleds.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. These markers follow the route used by Knox to transfer cannons from Fort Ticonderoga to Cambridge, Mass.
Also see . . . Major General Henry Knox. Knox biography from the American Revolution website. (Submitted on April 14, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,561 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 14, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.