Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Canova in Hanson County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Town of Epiphany

 
 
Town Of Epiphany Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, April 26, 2020
1. Town Of Epiphany Marker
Inscription.  The town of Epiphany came into being between the years 1889-1892 and was named by Bishop Martin Marty. In 1893 Father William Kroeger a Catholic priest and medical doctor established the town of “Kroeger”. He built his own laboratory where he made medicine, treating many diseases including a cure for skin cancer. He had the first hand operated X-ray in South Dakota which later was sold to the city of Sioux Falls. People came from all over the United States and many foreign countries to be treated for various diseases by “the great healer”. It has been estimated 300 to 400 people were in Epiphany at one time receiving treatment or waiting to receive his diagnosis or care. Bus lines met trains at Canova, Farmer and Spencer to bring patients to this healing center. He supplied the village with the first electric light plant, water works and an artificial ice plant. In April 1903 he established a paper called the “Kroeger Echo”. He also established a bank of which he was sole owner as well as a factory for making paper boxes. When he began his treatment for cancer he affiliated an assistant Louise M. Mentele whom he later made a partner in his business.
Wider view of Town Epiphany Marker in Wayside image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, April 26, 2020
2. Wider view of Town Epiphany Marker in Wayside
Click or scan to see
this page online
In the year 1899 Father Kroeger was forced to resign his priestly duties in order to devote himself to the medical profession. He continued his work in the clinic until 1904 when his health began to fail. Later that year he was reinstated as a priest. On Dec. 8, 1904 he passed away suddenly at the age of 52. He was laid to rest in the Epiphany cemetery where today a large stone cross marks the grave of the Doctor-Priest who was buried with all the honors of a priest by the Catholic Church.
 
Erected 1975 by Epiphany Lady’s Altar Society, South Dakota State Historical Society and the Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 461.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionScience & MedicineSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
 
Location. 43° 50.936′ N, 97° 40.135′ W. Marker is near Canova, South Dakota, in Hanson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Dakota Route 25 and 244th Street, on the right when traveling north on State Route 25. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canova SD 57321, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Crash of the Flying Sioux
Welcome to Epiphany image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, April 26, 2020
3. Welcome to Epiphany
(approx. 12.6 miles away); Fedora Independent Consolidated School District No. 1 (approx. 12.6 miles away); Howard Public Library (approx. 13.1 miles away); Hanson County, South Dakota, Veterans Memorial (approx. 14˝ miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 67 times this year. Last updated on August 19, 2021. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 27, 2020, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=179876

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021