Canton in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
After the United States declared its independence from Britain in 1778 the young nation’s navy, which had a small number of ships, was constantly being attacked by the British on the high seas. In response President George Washington directed Secretary of War Henry Knox to investigate building six naval frigates.
On the morning of September 7, 1797, the David Stodder Boatyard on Harris Creek launched the Frigate Constellation into the Baltimore Harbor. Harris Creek became the first navy yard in the United State to accomplish such a feat.
Harris Creek, once a large tributary of the Patapsco River which extended deep into the Canton area, has disappeared from view. Harris Creek fell victim to commercial development that began here in Canton in 1828 when the canning center of the world was located along Boston Street to connect the eastern area of Canton with these industries. A bridge was constructed over Harris Creek, preventing any further boat building. Additional bridges were built, and eventually the creek bed was filled
Erected by The Canton Community Association, Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks, funded by Safeway and Corporate Office Properties Trust.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is September 7, 1797.
Location. 39° 16.784′ N, 76° 34.695′ W. Marker is in Canton in Baltimore, Maryland. Memorial is on Lakewood Ave.. This is a replacement marker from the previous Canton Marker. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Former Glory (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baltimore Regional Trail (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Historic Canton (approx. ¼ mile away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Canton Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Canton (approx. half a mile away); General Casimir Pulaski (approx. half a mile away); The Old Police Station (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2021, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2021, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.