Red Boiling Springs in Macon County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Macon County In The Civil War
1. There was an Enlistment Center and Civil War Hospital in the Webb Hotel (later the Dedman and then the Palace Hotel. The Palace Nursing Home at 309 Main Street, Red Boiling Springs is on this location now).
2. The mineral resort of Epperson Springs Hotel was the site of an Enlistment Center located at 9695 Epperson Springs Road.
3. General Braxton Bragg had his headquarters at Gibbs Cross Roads (then called Witchers Crossroads).
4. There were three skirmishes in Macon County with loss of life in each one. The Gibbs Cross Roads Area was the site of one skirmish and is marked with a sign at 7651 Union Camp Road.
5. A skirmish occurred at Meadorville 4 miles of Lafayette and it is marked with a sign at Ferguson Hill Road in the Meadorville Missionary Baptist Church cemetery.
6. There was a skirmish 4 miles from Lafayette and it is marked with a sign at 4224 Amersville Road.
7. Union troops camped at the falls area of Union Camp near the Union Missionary Baptist Church, 4789 Union Camp Road.
8. Macon Countian Elvis Brooks Parker was executed by firing squad at General John Hunt Morgan’s headquarters in
9. There was a camp of Union soldiers “at the junction of the West Fork of Long Creek with Long Creek” and another camp at the “beautiful springs” of Winding Stairs.
10. Salt Peter, to be used as gunpowder, was mined at a cave located at 4277 Oakdale Road.
11. There was a possible underground railroad hideout in a cave on Long Creek in what was known as Negro Hollow.
12. Macon County had equal numbers of men of both sides of the war. There was heavy ‘guerilla’ activity throughout the county.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 36° 32.158′ N, 85° 51.013′ W. Marker is in Red Boiling Springs, Tennessee, in Macon County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Tennessee Route 56) and Hillcrest Drive, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Loacted in the Red Boiling Springs Civil War Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Red Boiling Springs TN 37150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Civil War Hospital (here, next to this marker); Confederate Enlistment Station (here, next to this marker); Red Boiling Springs (here, next to this marker); Palace Amusement Park (within shouting McClellan's General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Palace Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Ephraim Bean Barber Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Palace Tanning Booth (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Red Boiling Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2021, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia.