Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ste. Genevieve in Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

John Ferguson Scott

May 18, 1782 - October 1, 1861

 
 
John Ferguson Scott Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, August 25, 2021
1. John Ferguson Scott Marker
Inscription.  Born in Hanover County, Virginia, John Scott graduated from Princeton University in 1805 and began practicing law in Ste. Genevieve, a part of the new Louisiana Territory. He was the first American lawyer to permanently reside in the town. He was the Territory of Missouri's Congressional Delegate from 1817 to 1821 during which period he presented various petitions to Congress for Missouri's statehood. Scott was a member of Missouri's First Constitutional Convention in 1820. Once statehood was achieved, Scott represented Missouri in the U.S. House from 1821 to 1827. He was a successful lawyer in the area and once won an acquittal for locals who ran the Guignolee after it was banned by the town leaders. Scott is buried in the Ste. Genevieve Memorial Cemetery.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1805.
 
Location. 37° 58.74′ N, 90° 2.706′ W. Marker is in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, in Ste. Genevieve County. Marker is on Market Street east of 3rd Street, on the left when traveling east
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Market Street is one way. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 251 Market St, Sainte Genevieve MO 63670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Brick House West of Mississippi River (within shouting distance of this marker); Sainte Genevieve (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); El Camino Real (about 300 feet away); In Honor of Milice de Ste. Genevieve (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Sainte Genevieve Parish (about 500 feet away); Louis Bolduc House (about 600 feet away); Merchants Bank / Ste. Genevieve Savings Bank (about 700 feet away); In Memory of Prospect K. Robbins, 1782-1847 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ste. Genevieve.
 
John Ferguson Scott Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, August 25, 2021
2. John Ferguson Scott Marker
Marker is in a sheltered area, behind the Old Brick building.
John Ferguson Scott Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, August 25, 2021
3. John Ferguson Scott Marker
Behind the marker is a map of old town Ste. Genevieve
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 25, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180344

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024