Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntsville in Walker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Andrew Female College

 
 
Site of Andrew Female College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
1. Site of Andrew Female College Marker
Inscription.  Andrew Female College was founded in 1852 and chartered in early 1853. It was named for Bishop James Osgood Andrew and sponsored by the Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, although its charter allowed no religious tests for faculty or students. The institution's first five-month session began in May 1853 in an old Huntsville college building known as "The Brick Academy." At a time when there were few educational opportunities for women, enrollment was high and classes soon outgrew the academy. Citizens of Huntsville supported education for women by contributing funds for a larger, 2-story building completed in 1855. Eighty students, primarily from Walker and surrounding counties, were enrolled in the Andrew Female College in the 1856-1857 school year. Course work included requirements for a classical education as well as moral instruction and classes in music, drawing, painting and embroidery.

The college operated without interruption through the Civil War. The 1867 epidemic of yellow fever claimed the lives of the college president, several members of the faculty and a number of students. The fall term was
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
delayed until the first frost, which killed the mosquitoes carrying the disease.

Andrew Female College suffered from competition as other institutions such as the Sam Houston Normal Institute opened their doors to women. Enrollment declined steadily after 1872; the school was closed in 1880. The college property was conveyed to the City of Huntsville and reopened later that year as the community's first public school. The structure eventually was relocated and became a public school for African American children.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12831.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansDisastersEducationWomen. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1853.
 
Location. 30° 43.629′ N, 95° 33′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Texas, in Walker County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and University Avenue, on the right when traveling west on 8th Street. The marker is located at the southwest corner of HISD Support and Learning Center next to another Texas State Historical marker. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1039 8th Street, Huntsville TX 77320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Site of Andrew Female College (here, next to this marker); Sam Houston
The Site of Andrew Female College Marker is the marker on the right of the two markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
2. The Site of Andrew Female College Marker is the marker on the right of the two markers
(approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bedias Indians (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Sam Houston Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Death of Sam Houston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Huntsville Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Union Soldiers Graves (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
 
Also see . . .  Andrew Female College. (Submitted on August 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
 
The view of the Site of Andrew Female College Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 21, 2021
3. The view of the Site of Andrew Female College Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180350

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 19, 2024