Nicholson in Jackson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
"Home of the Daisy Festival"
Nicholson, Georgia, located in Jackson County, was originally named Cooper in honor of the Willis Cooper Farm. The town's name officially changed to Nicholson on February 2, 1882 as a tribute to J. Nicholson, President of the Northeastern Railroad, who agreed to place a fuel stop in the town. Officially incorporated in 1907, the town's charter became inactive for 35 years following the Great Depression but was reenacted in 1972.
Pride in community and country along with a patriotic spirit have led many Nicholson residents to serve honorably in the armed forces. Religion and education have always been central to community life with churches in the area dating to the late 1700s and schools playing a major role in the lives of local residents. Although predominately an agricultural community, Nicholson is home to a number of small businesses and públic service organizations. The Nicholson Water Authority, the Nicholson Area Volunteer Fire Department and the Harold S. Swindle Public Library address the needs of area residents. Continuous growth means the addition of new businesses, new churches and new schools to serve the needs
Erected by Nicholson Centennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 6.945′ N, 83° 25.776′ W. Marker is in Nicholson, Georgia, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of Lakeview Drive and Mulberry Street, on the left when traveling south on Lakeview Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 175 Lakeview Dr, Nicholson GA 30565, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mike Ward (within shouting distance of this marker); Antioch United Methodist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Home of Governor L.G. Hardman (approx. 6.1 miles away); Jackson County Troops Monument (approx. 8.2 miles away); Dr. Crawford W. Long and Anesthesia for Surgery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Crawford Long Monument (approx. 8.2 miles away); Lest We Forget (approx. 8.2 miles away); Jackson County War Memorial (approx. 8.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.