Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saginaw in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Jeffers Park

 
 
Jeffers Park Marker — side 1 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
1. Jeffers Park Marker — side 1
Inscription.  
(Side 1)
The Jeffers Memorial Fountain and Park was dedicated on May 30, 1906, and named for real estate developer and early Saginaw settler Michael Jeffers (1831-1904). His heirs donated the land, then a block of storefronts, to the city for a park and water fountain in his memory. Designed by Roy Merriam, the fountain was built of Barre granite from Vermont by the local firm of Anson Hobson. The sculptures were cast by the Henry-Bonnard Bronze Company of New York City.

(Side 2)
When Jeffers Park opened, the surrounding area was densely built, and Saginaw's water was taken mostly from the river. A "breathing spot in the hot days of summer," the park also provided residents of Saginaw access to clean water sourced from a deep well and chilled by two tons of stored ice. Communal tin drinking cups were replaced by a bubbler in 1915. The park served as a place for public events and civic activity. Restoration of the park was completed in 2012.
 
Erected 2012 by Michigan Historical Commission — Michigan History Center. (Marker Number L2244.)
 
Topics and series.
Jeffers Park Marker — side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
2. Jeffers Park Marker — side 2
Click or scan to see
this page online
This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkParks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 30, 1906.
 
Location. 43° 25.888′ N, 83° 56.076′ W. Marker is in Saginaw, Michigan, in Saginaw County. Marker is at the intersection of East Genessee Avenue and South Warren Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Genessee Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 602 East Genessee Avenue, Saginaw MI 48607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saginaw Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Saginaw (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hoyt Library (about 500 feet away); First Congregational Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saginaw Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Mary's Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Bliss Park (approx. one mile away); Bliss Park Soldiers Fountain Figure (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saginaw.
 
Also see . . .  A Small Park with a Story: Jeffers Park
Jeffers Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
3. Jeffers Park Marker
View of the marker looking toward the east.
. A post from May 30, 2020 on the Castle Museum of Saginaw County History's website about the history of the park. The web page also includes several postcard images of the park. (Submitted on August 29, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Jeffers Park Monument image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
4. Jeffers Park Monument
Jeffers Park Bubbler image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
5. Jeffers Park Bubbler
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 29, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180599

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 22, 2021