Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saginaw in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Mary's Hospital

 
 
St. Mary's Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
1. St. Mary's Hospital Marker
Inscription.  The need for medical facilities in fast-growing Saginaw valley led Father Francis Van der Bom and Dr. Benjamin B. Ross to organize support for a hospital. It opened with the arrival of four Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul on August 22, 1874. The original frame house proved inadequate; in 1875 a new building was begun on this site and the hospital incorporated as St. Mary's. Its first patients were principally injured lumbermen. The staff devised a health insurance plan of $5 a year to raise funds. Over the years the hospital expanded and modernized to care for more patients as well as to provide an increasing variety of medical and educational facilities. As it moves into its second century St. Mary's Hospital anticipates a future of continued care and service.
 
Erected 1974 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L289.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 22, 1874.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
43° 25.504′ N, 83° 56.407′ W. Marker is in Saginaw, Michigan, in Saginaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Emerson Street and South Baum Street, in the median on Emerson Street. Marker is about 0.1 mile east of South Washington Street (State Highway 13) on the road (Emerson Street) leading to the hospital's main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 South Washington Street, Saginaw MI 48601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Congregational Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hoyt Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Saginaw (approx. half a mile away); Saginaw Post Office (approx. half a mile away); Jeffers Park (approx. half a mile away); Saginaw Club (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bliss Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); Bliss Park Soldiers Fountain Figure (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saginaw.
 
St. Mary's Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
2. St. Mary's Hospital Marker
St. Mary's Hospital image. Click for full size.
3. St. Mary's Hospital
Photo of St. Mary's Hospital taken between 1900 and 1910. Detroit Publishing Co. no. 070237 in the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Collection.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180625

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024