Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livingston Manor in Sullivan County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rediscover Sherwood Island

 
 
Rediscover Sherwood Island Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, August 29, 2021
1. Rediscover Sherwood Island Marker
Inscription.  
Looking across the Willowemoc Creek towards the Livingston Manor Central School you are looking at what was once called Sherwood Island Park. The "island” was formed by the Willowemoc Creek in the front and by water diverted from the creek to the back of the island to power Sherwood's turning mill, a grist mill and a cider mill.

People attending the events had the opportunity to take part in many activities.
"..there will be everything you can imagine for amusement, a ball game between two good clubs, dancing afternoon and evening, splendid music, a dancing pavilion that accommodates two hundred couples, a merry-go-round and, say, a game of football between clubs from the northern part of the state composed entirely of young ladies..." - Liberty Register August 7, 1891

"the people of Livingston Manor will have a grand celebration on the 4th and have engaged the Pioneer Band of Middletown to furnish the music.”

The merry-go-round at Sherwood Park was said to be the first of its kind in Sullivan County. "It was a simple affair operated by two men who worked from behind
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a curtain."

From the mid 1800's through the early 1900's Sherwood Island Park hosted many events. These included the O&W Conductors' Clambakes, fairs sponsored by the Agricultural Society of the Town of Rockland, Fourth of July celebrations, amateur shows put on by local organizations, horse races, sporting events, concerts and dances. Other activities included tub races, running races, sack races, putting the shot, climbing a greased pole and trying your luck on gambling devices and nickel-in-the-slot machines.

Main Photo Caption: Rustic Bridge to Sherwood Park in Livingston Manor.

Second Panel:
"Everybody who attended has only good words for Jack Sherwood, who managed the bake, for the conductors, who looked so carefully after the welfare of their guests, and the O&W company for its admirable train services. The conductors ought to realize a nice sum from the bake; they certainly deserve it." - The Argus August 16, 1895

In August 1895 the Millard Division No. 104 Order of Railroad Conductors held their 9th annual Conductors' Clambake. Over 3,500 people attended the event. 2,400 arrived by train. Over 5,000 meal tickets were sold for two seatings - one during the day and one in the evening.

Much food was prepared and eaten at the Conductors' Clambakes.
In 1904 the menu called
Rediscover Sherwood Island Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, August 29, 2021
2. Rediscover Sherwood Island Marker
for:
• 68,000 clams
• 1,600 lbs. spring chicken
• 1,000 lbs. bluefish
• 35,000 ears of corn
• 14 barrels of sweet potatoes
• 500 watermelons
• 400 loaves of bread
• 180 lbs. butter
• 100 lbs. coffee
• 560 qts. mill

Sherwood Island was a well known and popular destination. In the 1899 O&W Summer Homes magazine it was described as ”… an island of about forty acres... this park is one of the most beautiful places along the line of the Ontario and Western Railway and for many years it has been a favorite resort for summer boarders, tourists, etc."

"N. Canten, formerly city engineer of Middletown, now a resident of Liberty, is at present engaged in surveying a driving track on Sherwood's Island Park - the track will have an excellent grade, three long straights and no sharp curves. When completed it will be the best half-mile track in the county." Roscoe Rockland Review August 7, 1895.

Main Photo Caption: Looking Across to Livingston Manor Central School, Fall 2010.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EntertainmentParks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical date for this entry is June 29, 1883.
 
Location. 41° 54.106′ N, 74° 49.586′ W. Marker is in Livingston Manor, New York, in Sullivan
School Stands On The Former Sherwood Island image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, August 29, 2021
3. School Stands On The Former Sherwood Island
County. Marker is on Main Street (County Route 149) north of Pearl Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 95 Main Street, Livingston Manor NY 12758, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Congregation Agudas Achim (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Congregation Agudas Achim (about 800 feet away); John R. Mott (approx. ¼ mile away); Livingston Manor Covered Bridge (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Catskill Mountains (approx. 2.6 miles away); “They Came to the Mountains by Rail” (approx. 2.6 miles away); Westfield Flats Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston Manor.
 
Also see . . .  Livingston Manor Renaissance Walking Tour. (Submitted on September 11, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.)
 
Rediscover Sherwood Island Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel
4. Rediscover Sherwood Island Marker
Roxbury Central School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, August 29, 2021
5. Roxbury Central School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 30, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.   5. submitted on August 31, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180682

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024