Near Flatonia in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Colony Community settled in the 1870s by former residents of Mississippi, at one time included three churches, several stores, and a post office. John A. and Margaret Young donated land at this site in 1876 for a Methodist church and cemetery. The grave yard became the primary burial ground for the community, the oldest documented grave is that of Methodist minister Samuel J. Brown (1813-1879). Also interred here are numerous other pioneer settlers, infants and children, and military veterans. The cemetery serves as a reflection of the area's pioneer heritage.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 970.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 29° 46.161′ N, 97° 10.87′ W. Marker is near Flatonia, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is on Brown Road, 0.1 miles west of State Highway 95, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located at the entrance to the Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Flatonia TX 78941, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Pitman Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away); James Carrel Bell (approx. 7 miles away); Simon Peter Ford (approx. 7 miles away); Flatonia (approx. 7.2 miles away); Wheeler Building (approx. 7.2 miles away); Mike Schulze Building (approx. 7.2 miles away); Flatonia Methodist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Olle Hotel (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flatonia.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 31, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.