Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wessington Springs in Jerauld County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Municipal Field House

 
 
Municipal Field House Marker image. Click for full size.
August 29, 2021
1. Municipal Field House Marker
Inscription.  The Field House was built by the W.P.A. in 1936. The government formed the W.P.A. (Works Progress Administration) to create jobs during the Great Depression. Native stone was hauled from local fields to keep the costs down. The building features a native stone fireplace inside. In 2000 it was placed on the National Register of Places. This historic building is used for picnics and family gatherings throughout the summer months.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkParks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1936.
 
Location. 44° 4.619′ N, 98° 34.357′ W. Marker is in Wessington Springs, South Dakota, in Jerauld County. Marker is on 2nd Street Southwest, 0.1 miles east of Dakota Avenue South, on the right when traveling west. Located at the Wessington Springs City Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 418 2nd Street SW, Wessington Springs SD 57382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Noble's Trail Campsite (within shouting distance of this marker); Neutral Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Wessington Springs' First Home
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wessington Springs Trivia (about 300 feet away); Jerauld County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Legion Hill (about 800 feet away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Legion Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wessington Springs.
 
Municipal Field House & Marker image. Click for full size.
August 29, 2021
2. Municipal Field House & Marker
National Register of Historic Places Marker image. Click for full size.
August 29, 2021
3. National Register of Historic Places Marker
The Fieldhouse
418 2nd Street SW
Has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
by the United States Department of the Interior
1936 by WPA
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2021. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2021. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180706

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024