Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lockhart in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Clark's Chapel Cemetery

 
 
Clark's Chapel Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 23, 2021
1. Clark's Chapel Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

As part of a group of settlers, William A. Clark moved with his wife, Nancy (Copenhaver), and children to Caldwell County from Alabama in 1850. Clark purchased land in this vicinity in 1854. Early community residents met in homes and out of doors for worship services, and in 1877, at the Clark's home, 26 men and women organized the Clark's Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, under the leadership of the Rev. J.W. Brown.

Two years later, Joseph and Jennie Magee deeded land to the group for a church building and grounds, later adding land for Clark's Chapel Cemetery. The first grave marker, that of two-year-old Martha R. Smith, dates to 1882.

The church building was torn down in 1950, and with the cemetery in poor state, Clark and Magee descendants, including Austin Magee, Guy Kelley and Niram "Nye" Clark, began gathering information about the church and cemetery, and organizing annual reunions for family members. Through these reunions and annual donations, the families today maintain the burial ground, which is still in use as a link to family and friends, and to area history.
Historic Texas Cemetery
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
- 2004

 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13080.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 29° 51.78′ N, 97° 35.668′ W. Marker is near Lockhart, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 713 and Old McMahan Trail (County Highway 208), on the right when traveling west on Highway 713. The marker is located at the entrance to the Clark's Chapel Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lockhart TX 78644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lincecum Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Isham Jones Good (approx. 2.3 miles away); Fleming Memorial Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Jeffrey Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Bethel Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lockhart Vocational High School (approx. 4.4 miles away); Dr. D. Port Smythe (approx. 4.6 miles away); Andrew Lee Brock (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockhart.
 
The entrance to the Clark's Chapel Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 23, 2021
2. The entrance to the Clark's Chapel Cemetery and Marker
The view of the Clark's Chapel Cemetery and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 23, 2021
3. The view of the Clark's Chapel Cemetery and Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180763

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024