Fremont in Sandusky County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
War of 1812
Victoriously defended by Major George Croghan. Battle of Fort Stephenson, August 2, 1813.
Built on this spot 1812-1813 and named for Col. Mills Stephenson, one of its builders.
Major George Croghan, age 21, took command in July 1813. He was surrounded Aug. 1 by 2,000 Indians under Tecumseh, bombarded from the river by British ships. He had but 160 men and 1 cannon, Old Betsy. The British under Gen. Henry Proctor with 400 men attacked Aug. 2, were repulsed with heavy loses and retreated to Canada. This ended the war on U.S. soil in the west. Perry's victory on Lake Erie came Sept. 10. Our invasion of Canada followed. Proctor was defeated and Tecumseh killed Oct. 5 in the Battle of the Thames, southern Ontario.
Erected 1972 by The Sandusky County Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-72.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Military Native Americans • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1813.
Location. 41° 20.766′ N, 83° 6.936′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Marker is at the intersection of Croghan Street and High Street, on the right when traveling east on Croghan Street. This historical marker is located on the north side of the Birchard Public Library, which was built on the site of Fort Stephenson,. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 423 Croghan St, Fremont OH 43420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Stephenson (a few steps from this marker); Old Betsy (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldier's Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Fremont (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Near This Spot (about 400 feet away); Great Gathering Place (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Fremont (about 800 feet away); Indian Gantlet and Race Course (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
More about this marker. This historical marker is located on a rise, over looking the Sandusky River Valley, on the former site of Fort Stephenson, surrounded by a cluster of additional memorials, plaques, and monuments, all of which are there to commemorate the events that took place at Fort Stephenson during the war of 1812.
Regarding Fort Stephenson. As part of
The British General Henry Proctor, on the other hand, was seeking to take the battle to the Americans and deal them a set back in their invasion plans. He had been unsuccessful in his attempt to hand the Americans a major defeat in his seige of Fort Meigs on the Maumee River, but rather than returning to Canada and appearing weak to his Native American allies he sought to gain some advantage by attacking what he felt would be a softer and more vulnerable target, the considerably smaller fortification and garrison at Fort Stephenson on the banks of the Sandusky River.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,732 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 8. submitted on April 23, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 9. submitted on April 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 10. submitted on April 20, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.