Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Port Lavaca in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Six Mile Cemetery

 
 
Six Mile Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 30, 2021
1. Six Mile Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  The first known grave in the Czech German settlement of Marekville was that of Veranka Drgac (1817-1897). The five-acre graveyard was deeded to the Marekville Cemetery Association by the Phillips Investment Company in 1899. The area became known as the Six Mile community around 1907; the cemetery name changed accordingly. Graves of interest include that of Anton Machacek (1856-1931), who served in the Austro-Hungarian Army before immigrating to the United States. Veterans of major American and international conflicts also are interred here. An October 1997 count recorded more than 350 marked graves in the cemetery, which continues to serve the community.
 
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1150.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1997.
 
Location. 28° 40.688′ N, 96° 41.196′ W. Marker is near Port Lavaca, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Royal Road and Bobby Lane, on the left when traveling west on Royal Road.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The marker is located at the front entrance to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 345 Royal Road, Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Six Mile Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Six Mile-Royal Community (approx. half a mile away); Springs of Calhoun County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Don Martin de Leon (approx. 1.8 miles away); Lavaca Lodge No. 36, A.F.& A.M. (approx. 2.9 miles away); Port Lavaca Chapter No. 373 Order of the Eastern Star (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of the Town of Linnville (approx. 2.9 miles away); Salem Lutheran Church (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Lavaca.
 
The Six Mile Cemetery Marker near the cemetery entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 30, 2021
2. The Six Mile Cemetery Marker near the cemetery entrance
The entrance to the Six Mile Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 30, 2021
3. The entrance to the Six Mile Cemetery and Marker
The marker is on the right side of the entrance next to the flag pole
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181118

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024