Near Buckingham in Buckingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— Buckingham County —
Union Grove School is representative of the many one-room school for African American students that could be found in the first half of the 20th century in Buckingham County and the surrounding area. The African American members of the community built Union Grove around 1925, and like most schools, i was named after a local church. An African American farmer and storeowner donated the land, and the parents of students cut and milled the lumber.
At first, both students and teachers walked to the school. The teachers were usually women of the community who had some education beyond the standard elementary level allowed African Americans. But as time passed, students rode to Union Grove on segregated buses, and as more African Americans graduated college, teacher standards were raised to include these more highly educated men and women.
Yearly enrollment varied between 20 and 35 students in each of grades 1-7. Students were taught the basic subjects of reading, writing, arithmetic, history and geography. Older students often helped younger students while the teacher was busy with another grade level. There was
Union Grove School was closed in 1964 when the last 12 one-room African American schools in Buckingham County were consolidated into new, but still segregated, multiroom classroom brick schools. The new elementary schools, Stephen J. Ellis and Washington Carver, remained segregated until complete desegregation of the county school system in the fall of 1970.
Erected by Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail. (Marker Number BK1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Education. In addition, it is included in the Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1925.
Location. 37° 32.728′ N, 78° 31.501′ W. Marker is near Buckingham, Virginia, in Buckingham County. Marker can be reached from Lee Wayside Road, 0.1 miles east of West James Anderson Highway (U.S. 60), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 84 Lee Wayside Rd, Buckingham VA 23921, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this After Appomattox (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buckingham Courthouse (approx. 0.8 miles away); Confederate Soldiers of Buckingham County (approx. 1.7 miles away); Thomas Jefferson’s Lost Courthouse (approx. 1.8 miles away); Buckingham County War Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Thomas Jefferson’s Lost Courthouse (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Thomas Jefferson's Lost Courthouse (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Buckingham Courthouse (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buckingham.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Old Marker At This Location also titled "One-Room Schoolhouse".
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.