Wayland in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Gen. Henry Knox Trail
General Henry Knox
in the winter of
1775 – 1776
to deliver to
General George Washington
the train of artillery
from Fort Ticonderoga used
to force the British Army
to evacuate Boston.
Erected by the Commonwealth
of Massachusetts 1927
Erected 1927 by Commonwealth of Massachusetts. (Marker Number MA-23.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the General Henry Knox Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
Location. 42° 20.895′ N, 71° 21.551′ W. Marker is in Wayland, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Old Connecticut Path (Massachusetts Route 126), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wayland MA 01778, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Town Center (approx. 1.6 miles away); Knox Trail (approx. 2 miles away); Sudbury (approx. 2 miles away); The Goodnow Garrison House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Haynes Garrison House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hop Brook Mill (approx. 3.1 miles away); Sudbury Fight (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wayland.
More about this marker. The top of the marker contains a bas relief bronze plaque depicting Gen. Knox overseeing a train of ox-drawn sleds.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. These markers follow the route used by Knox to transfer cannons from Fort Ticonderoga to Cambridge, Mass.
Also see . . . Major General Henry Knox. Knox biography from the American Revolution website. (Submitted on April 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,160 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.