Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Flandreau in Moody County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Flandreau Indian High School

 
 
Flandreau Indian High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, June 29, 2007
1. Flandreau Indian High School Marker
Inscription.  One hundred years ago Flandreau Indian School had its inception when the federal government appropriated $1,000 for the mission school set up in 1872 by Presbyterian missionaries for Santee Sioux who had homesteaded near Flandreau.
The first school was called Riggs Institute after the Rev. Mr. Alfred Riggs, missionary teacher and friend of the Rev. Mr. John Williamson, who had led the Sioux to Flandreau. Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs in the National Archives show that on January 1, 1873, the Rev. Mr. P. A. Van Nuys was appointed as teacher. Among other early teachers were Hosea Locke and the Rev. Mr. John Eastman, an Indian minister of the First Presbyterian Church which, erected in 1873, still stands on Highway 13 north of Flandreau.
In 1890 Congress appropriated $2,000 for purchase of 160 acres of land for the site of an industrial school near the village of Flandreau. In 1891 the federal government bought the land where the present Flandreau Indian High School stands and established a boarding school for Indian youth. Some of the first buildings erected are still in use. In 1895 the cost per pupil was $167 per year,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
or approximately 60 cents per day. In 1930 the cost was $275 per year, or approximately $1.00 per day. Today the cost of boarding, caring for and educating each pupil for a nine-month period is approximately $2,400.
Today, the Flandreau Indian High School, totally supported by the federal government has more than twenty buildings and facilities to provide a varied program for 600 boarding school students. All teachers are certified by the South Dakota Department of Public Instruction, and the school is accredited by the North Central Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges.
 
Erected 1974 by U.S. Dept. of Interior, S.D. Dept. of Transportation, and S.D. State Historical Society. (Marker Number 457.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 1, 1873.
 
Location. 44° 3.854′ N, 96° 35.256′ W. Marker is in Flandreau, South Dakota, in Moody County. Marker is on 481st Avenue (State Highway 13) 0.2 miles south of 229th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Flandreau SD 57028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flandreau Christian Indian Community (approx. ¼ mile
Distance view of Flandreau Indian High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, June 29, 2007
2. Distance view of Flandreau Indian High School Marker
away); Dakota Akicita Wokisye / Dakota Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wakpaipaksan Okodakiciye (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waxdahl Claim Shack (approx. 1.1 miles away); Riverbend Meeting House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Depot (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jones School District #60 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Flandreau (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flandreau.
 
Flandreau Indian High School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, June 29, 2007
3. Flandreau Indian High School
Flandreau Indian High School Marker, from the south image. Click for full size.
September 5, 2021
4. Flandreau Indian High School Marker, from the south
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2019, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on September 7, 2021. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 10, 2019, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   4. submitted on September 7, 2021. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181272

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024