LaFayette in Chambers County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
County government organized 1833 by Judge James Thompson of Jefferson County. First officers were: Nathaniel Greer, Sheriff; William House, Clk. Cir. Ct.; Joseph J. Williams, Clk. Co. Ct.; Booker Lawson, John Wood, William Fannin, John A. Hurst, Commissioners of Roads and Revenue. Permanent court site selected by Commissioners Thomas C. Russell, James Taylor and Capt. Baxter Taylor. A log courthouse was built here 1833, replaced by brick structure 1837 and used until present courthouse erected 1899.
LaFayette, county seat, was formerly known as Chambersville and Chambers C. H. (courthouse).
Erected 1972 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 53.96′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lafayette AL 36862, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chambers County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Muscogee Indians (a few steps from this marker); The LaFayette Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); LaFayette Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Vines Funeral Home and Ambulance Service (approx. half a mile away); Essie J. Handy Memorial Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Providence Baptist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Fort Cusseta (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaFayette.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,422 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.