Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The College of William and Mary in Virginia
The college was transferred to the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1906.
The main structure, now called the Wren Building, erected in 1695, burned in 1705, was rebuilt in 1716 on the original foundation. After several fires and alterations, it was restored in 1928 by Mr. John D. Rockefeller, Jr. The General Assembly met in this building 1700 to 1704, and again 1747 to 1754. It is the oldest academic building in continuous use in the United States.
On the left is the Brafferton, erected as an Indian school in 1723. On the right is the President’s House, built in 1732; accidentally burned by French soldiers in 1781, it was restored by Louis XVI in 1786.
Gift of the Class of 1956
Erected 1956 by W&M Class of 1956.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraEducation • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1693.
Location. 37° 16.254′ N, 76° 42.453′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Boundary Street and Richmond Road. This marker is located just inside the wall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Norborne Berkeley, Baron de Botetourt (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Christopher Wren Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); School for Black Children (about 400 feet away); Indian School at the College of William & Mary (about 400 feet away); Alumni of the College of William and Mary (about 400 feet away); Priorities of the College of William and Mary (about 400 feet away); The Christopher Wren Building (about 400 feet away); In Gallia Nati Mortui in Virginia (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
Also see . . . College of William & Mary. (Submitted on November 14, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,103 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 3. submitted on January 12, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 13, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 8, 9. submitted on January 12, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California.