Saint Paul in Howard County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Howard County Courthouse
The first homestead claim in Howard County was filed on March 11, 1871. St. Paul was appointed the county seat in May, and retained that title over Dannebrog in a close 1874 election. A wooden courthouse was built in St. Paul in 1877. By June 1912, residents favored replacing the "wooden shack that has been a leftover from the sod house and grasshopper period." Voters approved a $75,000 stone courthouse for the same site.
The new building was designed by Lincoln architect George Berlinghof, a German immigrant. The cornerstone was laid on June 5, 1913. Financial difficulties resulted in sporadic construction, and the courthouse was $28,000 over budget when it opened in November 1914.
Though predominantly brick, the Classical Revival style building has a foundation and columns of Indiana limestone, stairs of pale pink marble, railings of solid white marble, and floors of terrazzo. The Grand Army of the Republic monument to Civil War veterans was dedicated on July 4, 1919. The Howard County Courthouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Erected 2019 by
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1914.
Location. 41° 12.873′ N, 98° 27.418′ W. Marker is in Saint Paul, Nebraska, in Howard County. Marker is at the intersection of Indian Street and 6th Street, on the left when traveling west on Indian Street. Marker is located near the southeast corner of the Howard County Courthouse grounds and the northwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 612 Indian Street, Saint Paul NE 68873, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ed Fleming (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grover Cleveland Alexander (about 500 feet away); St. Wenceslaus Catholic Cemetery, Warsaw (approx. 5.9 miles away).
Regarding Howard County Courthouse. National Register of Historic Places #89002233.
Also see . . . Howard County Courthouse (Wikipedia). It is deemed significant architecturally (Submitted on September 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 184 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 12, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.