Concord in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Major John Buttrick House
Here was the home of the Colonial officer who led the advance to the North Bridge. With British soldiers firing directly at his men, Major John Buttrick gave the order, “Fire, fellow soldiers, for God’s sake, fire!” It was the first time that Colonists were ordered to fire on the King’s troops, an act of treason.
Although this house was built in 1715 (and later altered), the Buttrick family lived on this hillside since the founding of Concord in 1635. At the time of the battle in 1775, John was a 44 year old farmer who was well respected in Concord and active in town government. He and his wife Abigail had eight children.
After the battle, the bodies of the two Colonists killed at the bridge, Isaac Davis and Abner Hosmer, were laid out in the house.
Erected by Minute Man National Historical Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 42° 28.317′ N, 71° 21.197′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Concord MA 01742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major John Buttrick (within shouting distance of this marker); Acton Minutemen (within shouting distance of this marker); The North Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Muster Field (about 400 feet away); Two Revolutions (about 700 feet away); An Evolving Legacy (about 700 feet away); Reflections of the Revolution (about 700 feet away); The Road to Colonel Barrett’s (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Concord.
More about this marker. Marker is located near the North Bridge Visitor Center in Minute Man National Historical Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,213 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.