Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Forest Hill is one of the largest private cemeteries in the county, containing 98,000 graves. Benajah Ticknor's funeral was the first, held there in February 1859.
James Morwick designed the gothic stone entrance, built by the Walker brothers of Ann Arbor. The stone house and office were added in 1874, designed and built by Gordon W. Lloyd, who also built St. Andrews Episcopal Church, the Congregational Church of Ann Arbor and the Alanzo Palmer house. The gateway bell was originally rung for funerals.
Erected by Washtenaw County Historic District Commission. (Marker Number AC-25.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1859.
Location. 42° 16.667′ N, 83° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 Observatory St, Ann Arbor MI 48104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washtenaw County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Campus Patterns of Residential Life (approx. 0.2 miles away); Phi Delta Theta Fraternity House (approx. 0.2 miles away); South University and Forest Avenues (approx. Ό mile away); First Presbyterian Church Cornerstone (approx. Ό mile away); Simpson Memorial Institute (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Medical Buildings (approx. 0.3 miles away); Michigan Summer Symposium in Theoretical Physics (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. 3. submitted on September 14, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.