Mediapolis in Des Moines County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Des Moines County Freedom Rock Features
☆ Jimmie Howard, a Marine Corps SSG, served in Viet Cong and Korea. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on Hill 488, along with many additional honors.
☆ The Iowa Army Ammunition Plant has been an important asset to the county and military since beginning production in 1941.
☆ Yellow Spring Township memorial, found in Kossuth, is the oldest Civil War monument west of the Mississippi River.
☆ General John Corse, a politician and soldier, served in the Union Army during the Civil War. At the end of the war he was appointed Bt MG for his role in the Battle of Allatoona.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • War, Korean • War, US Civil • War, Vietnam. In addition, it is included in the Freedom Rock Memorials, and the Medal of Honor Recipients series lists.
Location. 41° 0.467′ N, 91° 9.901′ W. Marker is in Mediapolis, Iowa, in Des Moines County. Memorial is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 Main Street, Mediapolis IA 52637, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yellow Spring Township Civil War Monument (approx. 1½ miles away); Snake Alley (approx. 13.9 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Jimmie Earl Howard (Congressional Medal of Honor Society). Shortly after midnight a Viet Cong force of estimated battalion size approached the marines' position and launched a vicious attack with small-arms, automatic-weapons, and mortar fire. Howard skillfully organized his small but determined 18-man platoon into a tight perimeter. When fragments of an exploding enemy grenade wounded him severely and prevented him from moving his legs, he distributed his ammunition to the remaining members and proceeded to maintain radio communications and direct air strikes on the enemy with uncanny accuracy. (Submitted on September 14, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Battle of Hill 488. The Battle of Hill 488 was a military engagement of the Vietnam War that took place on the night of 15–16 June 1966. A small United States Marine (Submitted on September 14, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Iowa Army Ammunition Plant. The IAAAP was established in November 1940, as the Iowa Ordnance Plant and started production in 1941. Production was stopped in 1945, when World War II ended. The plant resumed its ammunition manufacturing mission in 1949. In 1950, in response to the Korean conflict, production increased dramatically. In 1975, the Army assumed responsibility for IAAAP. (Submitted on September 14, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. John Murray Corse (Wikipedia). Corse was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but moved at the age of seven with his family to Burlington in the Iowa Territory. In 1860 he was nominated as the new state's lieutenant governor by the Iowa Democratic Party. Corse joined the (Submitted on September 14, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
5. The Freedom Rock. Thanking our Veterans, one painting at a time. (Submitted on September 14, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 14, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 8. submitted on September 15, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.