Palestine in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort Houston Cemetery
In 1835, Joseph Jordan and William S. McDonald donated about 500 acres of land in this area for the town of Houston, later known as Fort Houston. An early map of the townsite shows a section designated as a "public burying ground." The infant child of the Rev. Peter Fullinwider, an early Protestant minister in Anderson County, is said to have been the first to be interred here. The oldest marked grave, that of Dr. James Hunter, is dated 1840.
The Fort Houston Cemetery is the only remaining physical evidence of the early frontier town, which was abandoned after Palestine was made Anderson County seat in 1846. Victims of diseases, Indian massacres, and other hardships that faced early Texas settlers are buried here. A special soldiers' plot, marked with a large boulder, contains the graves of soldiers of the Republic of Texas. Two veterans of the Battle of San Jacinto, John W. Carpenter and James Wilson, are buried in unmarked graves. The burial site of General Nathaniel Smith, a War of 1812 veteran, is also located in the soldiers' plot.
The Fort Houston Cemetery remains in use as a public burial ground and as a reminder
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8754.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 31° 43.546′ N, 95° 39.091′ W. Marker is in Palestine, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is on Harcrow Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palestine TX 75801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Houston (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Fort Houston (approx. one mile away); Christopher Columbus Rogers (approx. 2.6 miles away); The I&GN Railroad in Palestine (approx. 2.6 miles away); Palestine High School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Roy B. Wallace (approx. 2.7 miles away); Robert (Bob) Knight (approx. 2.7 miles away); Dr. Bonner Frizzell (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palestine.
More about this marker. The marker is inside the cemetery fence, facing away from Harcrow Road. It faces the roadway inside the cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2021, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2021, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.