Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Charles in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

8" Howitzer

 
 
8" Howitzer Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
1. 8" Howitzer Marker
Inscription.  
Maximum Range: 18 miles with charge
Pulled by an M4 prime mover.
Same carriage as a 155mm Long Tom.
Weight of projectile: 225lbs.
Power Charges:
Night Flash-less charge increments 1 to 5.
Daytime Smokeless Charge: 5 with increments
of 6 to 7.
Crew Needed to Operate: 11 to 18 men.
A battalion consisted of 3 firing batteries,
A. B. C. of 4 guns each, with service and
headquarters battery:
About 600 men all together.

How this howitzer came to St. Charles, as told by Frank Matula,
Member of the 465 F.A. Bn., 1950 to Nov. 1952.

As far as I know, there were 2 battalions of 8" howitzers in WWII, 1 in Europe and 1 in the Pacific. The one in the Pacific was the 465th Field Artillery Battalion. It fought in New Guinea, Mindanao, and Luzon at Lingayen Gulf, landing in Luzon at Lingayen Gulf on the first day fighting as Infantry. It was 3 or 4 days before the L.S.T. (Landing Ship, Tank) brought in the howitzers and the group reassembled as artillery.

Later, C. Battery
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was one of the units to knock down the wall around Intramuros (a Spanish city built about 500 years before with a wall around it 30 feet thick. This was the howitzer that was asked to breach this wall. It took several days and nights to break it down. My Sergeant, Martin Duero, was one to enter.
This addition is by Joe Matula) So, the 32nd Infantry Division could liberate the City, George Miller (deceased 1971) of Saginaw and St. Charles, a member of C Battery of the 465th F.A. Bn. WWII was Commander of Post 168 of the American Legion. He had the howitzer brought from Indianapolis and placed in the Village Park in the 1960s.

After WWII, the 465th F.A. Bn. was assigned to the North Dakota Reserve. It was activated in September 1950 during the Korean War and sent to Camp McCoy, Wisconsin, serving as a Basic Training Unit. In January 1952 it was sent to Germany at the height of the Cold War. The 465th F.A. Bn. was disbanded in 1956 and the Howitzer became surplus, replaced by self-propelled guns. Many veterans from this area served in the 465th at one time or another.
 
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: War, ColdWar, KoreanWar, World II. A significant day of the year for for this entry is May 31.
 
Location. 43° 18.395′ N, 84° 8.597′ W. Marker is in St. Charles, Michigan, in Saginaw County. Memorial
8" Howitzer and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
2. 8" Howitzer and Marker
is at the intersection of North Saginaw Street (State Highway 52) and Parkway Drive, on the right when traveling south on North Saginaw Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Parkway Drive, Saint Charles MI 48655, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saginaw Valley Coal (within shouting distance of this marker); Early St. Charles (approx. half a mile away); Local Historical Site (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Charles Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Schroeder House (approx. 1.2 miles away); George Nason House (approx. 8.4 miles away); Leamington Stewart House (approx. 8.4 miles away); Woodland Trail (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Charles.
 
8" Howitzer Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, August 28, 2021
3. 8" Howitzer Marker
Marker and howitzer are in Coal Miners' Area Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181958

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024