Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewis Center in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Four Chaplains

 
 
The Four Chaplains Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
1. The Four Chaplains Marker
Inscription.  A convoy of 3 ships and 3 Coast Guard cutters passed through “Torpedo Alley” some 100 miles off the coast of Greenland at about 1 a.m. on February 3, 1943. The submarine U-223 fired 3 torpedoes 1 of which hit the midsection of the Dorchester, a US Army troopship with more than 900 men on board. Ammonia and oil were everywhere in the fast-sinking vessel and upon the freezing sea. The 4 chaplains on board, 2 Protestant pastors, a Catholic priest and a Jewish rabbi were among the first on deck calming the men and handing out life jackets. When they ran out they took off their own jackets and placed them on waiting soldiers without regard to faith or race.
 
Erected by Kingwood Memorial Park.
 
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkHeroesWar, World IIWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the The Four Chaplains series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 3, 1943.
 
Location. 40° 10.338′ N, 83° 1.374′ W. Marker is in Lewis Center, Ohio, in Delaware
The Four Chaplains Memorial image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
2. The Four Chaplains Memorial
Click or scan to see
this page online
County. Memorial can be reached from Columbus Pike (U.S. 23). Marker is in Kingwood Memorial Park, the centerpiece of the Garden of The Four Chaplains. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8230 Columbus Pike, Lewis Center OH 43035, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kingwood Memorial Park Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Kilbourne / Anson Williams (about 400 feet away); The Gooding House and Tavern / Rural Taverns in Early Ohio History (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mulzer Mill Complex (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Union Land Company and the Case Family / The Olentangy River Road (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Mulzer Mill Complex (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Jain Temple in Central Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio (approx. 1.9 miles away); Thomas Cellar (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewis Center.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Other Four Chaplain markers
 
Also see . . .  The Four Chaplains Memorial. (Submitted on April 26, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
The Garden of The Four Chaplains Memorial Engraving image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
3. The Garden of The Four Chaplains Memorial Engraving
The Garden of The Four Chaplains Memorial image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
4. The Garden of The Four Chaplains Memorial
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,032 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 23, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=18207

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 27, 2021