Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saginaw in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Treaty of Saginaw

 
 
Treaty of Saginaw Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, September 21, 2021
1. Treaty of Saginaw Marker
Inscription.  
On this spot
on the 24th day of
September, A.D. 1819
General Lewis Cass
made and executed a Treaty with
Chippewa Indians of Saginaw
by which they ceded
the largest part of their lands
situated in
Northeastern Michigan to the
United States government

 
Erected 1916 by Daughters of the American Revolution and the City Federation of Women's Clubs.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansPeace. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 24, 1819.
 
Location. 43° 25.014′ N, 83° 57.82′ W. Marker is in Saginaw, Michigan, in Saginaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and South Hamilton Street, on the right when traveling east on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 421 Court St, Saginaw MI 48602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Core Sample (within shouting distance of this marker); Saginaw County Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
away, measured in a direct line); Saginaw Valley Lumbering Era (about 400 feet away); Fred J. Borchard Park (about 400 feet away); Carl Cardwell Poston, Jr. (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benjamin and Adelaide Cushway / The Cushway House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hoyt Park Shelter and Field House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saginaw.
 
Also see . . .  Treaty of Saginaw. Excerpt:
Native Americans ceded a large tract of land (more than six million acres (24,000 km˛) in the central portion of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan.
(Submitted on September 22, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
Treaty of Saginaw Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, September 21, 2021
2. Treaty of Saginaw Marker
Looking west down Court Street
Lewis Cass image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown author, circa 1855
3. Lewis Cass
Negotiator of the treaty and later 22nd United States Secretary of State.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 22, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=182296

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024