Perry Hall in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Harry Dorsey Gough
Erected 2009 by Perry Hall Improvement Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
Location. 39° 24.137′ N, 76° 26.759′ W. Marker is in Perry Hall, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is at the intersection of Honeygo Boulevard and East Joppa Road, on the right when traveling west on Honeygo Boulevard. Marker is located to the east of Camp Chapel United Methodist Church. The location is the site of a future park to be named in honor of the Gough family ("Gough Park"). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5000 East Joppa Road, Perry Hall MD 21128, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Chapel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Baltimore Embroidery / The Tanner Homestead Germantown (approx. 1.2 miles away); Perry Hall (approx. 1.3 miles away); “Whitemarsh” (approx. 1.6 miles away); White Marsh War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Indian Rock (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perry Hall.
More about this marker. The marker was erected as part of the Perry Hall Improvement Association's commenoration of Baltimore County's 350th anniversary.
Regarding Harry Dorsey Gough. Born in 1745 in Annapolis, Gough purchased a 1,000-acre estate near the Great Gunpowder River in 1773. He named this property “Perry Hall,” after a family estate near Birmingham, England, and completed construction of what is now called the Perry Hall Mansion. Following Gough’s conversion to Methodism, the Perry Hall Mansion became a refuge for leaders such as Francis Asbury, who later became the first Methodist bishop. Gough was also a leading philanthropist. Gough served on a commission, chartered by the Maryland General Assembly in 1773, to provide the state with its first Alms House, where poor families could receive shelter and food. By 1806, he was serving on the board of trustees for St. Peter's
Also see . . . Perry Hall Online. (Submitted on April 24, 2009, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2009, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,627 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2009, by David Marks of Perry Hall, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.